What counts as a bedroom? Realtors must answer this question each time they list a property, as misrepresenting a home can have serious consequences.
City of Ottawa by-law defines a bedroom as "a room used or designed for use primarily for sleeping." Sounds like a no-brainer, right? By-law also regulates the size of bedrooms, with a minimum floor area of 7 square metres (that's about 75 square feet). Finally, a bedroom must contain a window of a size equivalent to 5% of the floor area of the room. That means in the tiniest bedroom allowed by by-law, the window must be at least 3.77 square feet in size. This ensures that anyone in the room has an additional point of egress in the case of fire or other emergency.
So, is a den a bedroom? What about the walk-in closet converted into a nursery? That bonus room in the basement?
Regardless of how a property owner chooses to use the rooms in their home, a Realtor cannot list a property with more or fewer bedrooms than exist within the definition of city by-law. This may come as a shock to some homeowners, if they believe they have a 4-bedroom house to sell and find out that legally the house only holds 3 bedrooms. If in doubt, consult a trusty measuring tape and discuss your concerns with your Realtor. We are always happy to discuss the impact of bedrooms on property value, and can refer you to trustworthy contractors if bringing a bedroom up to code is a must for you.Continue Reading
When the time comes to sell your home, your Realtor may recommend staging the property before putting it on the market. It’s a lot of work to make your home look like it’s ready for a magazine photo shoot. The rewards are worth all that hard work, though, and we’ll tell you why.
Welcome to 715 Bowercrest Crescent in Riverside South, Ottawa. This two bedroom, three bathroom townhome with loft offers quiet living with no front neighbors and a private backyard. Step into the beautifully tiled sunken foyer, designed with plenty of room for families on the go. A spacious closet with mirrored doors provides ample storage solutions. Here you’ll also find a powder ...See full listing
Welcome to 405 at The Atriums of Kanata, 960 Teron Road. This meticulously maintained condo community offers all the amenities you could want, in a great location. This two bedroom, two bathroom unit offers open-concept living with a spacious living and dining area. Floor-to-ceiling windows separate the living room from the tiled solarium. Enjoy the beauty of balcony views with year-round ...See full listing
Recent Blog Posts
- What counts as a bedroom?
- The Psychology of Staging a Home
- Why do Real Estate Lawyers Cost so Much?
- Buying Investment Property in Ottawa
- Before you say yes to mortgage insurance, consider a product designed to protect you and your loved ones – not your lender.
- How to Prepare to Meet with a Listing Agent
- How to Read Between the Lines on Realtor.ca
- How to Shop for a House in a Sellers’ Market
- Introducing McKeller Park!
- Bel Air Tremblant
- Stay safe this Halloween!
- Giving thanks for our clients and our community
- Is back-to-school season the right time to buy?
- There's still time to win a Back-to-School Shopping Spree!
- Home ownership is a big step, but it has risks