Let's face it, while it hasn't been the coldest winter we’ve seen in recent years, it was still winter and many of us are now looking forward to opening our homes to friends and family for BBQ's, pool parties and generally enjoying the warmer season. With this comes the annual thoughts of 'spring cleaning'. Here are a few traditional 'tips', but also some that provide a new take on 'home freshening'.
1) Plan and Schedule: What areas of your home need work or often get left off the regular cleaning routine? These are the best places to begin.
2) The Closet: This is the year to do it! If it wasn't worn over the winter, donate it.
3) Indoor Air & Odours: Replace the furnace and HVAC filters, take garbage bins outside for a soapy hose down and leave them out to dry.
4) Windows: Clean screens with a scrap of carpeting. It makes for a powerful brush that removes all the dirt. Use a rag and soapy water to clean the windows, and dry them with another rag or a windshield squeegee.
5) Carpets and Fabrics: To freshen carpets, rugs and upholstery, add some dried lavender or rosemary to a jar of baking soda and shake.(let infuse overnight to intensify) Sprinkle on surfaces and vacuum up. Using a steam cleaner will provide extra cleaning to all surfaces and most are steam cleaner friendly!
6) Outdoor Furniture: Don't forget to bring out your patio furniture and hose it down. Using a strong cleaner such as Spray 9 will help remove stubborn dirt from the previous summer.
7) Brighten your Space and your Mood: If your home feels dark or in need of a spring boost, add some new and inexpensive colourful throw pillows or bring in a new piece of art to add a spark. New hand towels in the powder room and bright accent candles are all great ways to get ready for the season!
We wish all our friends and family a wonderful spring and summer!
Rachel Hammer Real Estate Team