Spring is finally here and it’s time for homeowners everywhere to turn to some spring cleaning and perhaps consider making your home more eco-friendly. We have some tips to get the process started:
- Change out your existing lightbulbs in favour of energy-efficient bulbs.
- To conserve water, install low-flow showerheads, water-displacement devices in your toilet tanks, and try to run dishwashers and washing machines only when they are full.
- When choosing products for your spring cleaning project, search for one of the many lines of biodegradable products on the market to use.
- While you're cleaning, it is a good idea to check around doors and windows for possible leaks, and seal them. A simple seal with caulking or weatherstripping can conserve a lot of energy, and potentially save you even more on your monthly bills.
- Spring cleaning can often include getting rid of things around the house that are no longer needed. Try to reduce the amount of belongings that are being thrown away by doing a little bit of research. Several things can be donated to local charitable organizations, recycled, or even sold.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Replace your furnace filters.
By just taking a few small steps, you can make your home a more sustainable place to live.
It has been a long winter, so we’re looking forward to spending more time outdoors and helping our clients find their perfect homes!
Rachel, Dana, and Chris